The meeting point for ski tourers at the Kitzsteinhorn is the Skyline Bar in the Alpincenter. High-carbohydrate meals especially for ski tourers and beverages are served here.
Ski touring routes from autumn until spring
Uphill on skins
The Kitzsteinhorn offers all ski tourers an early start to their sporty ski mountaineering season in autumn already.
The two signposted ski touring routes "Eisbrecher" (Icebreaker) and "Schneekönigin" (Snow Queen) with start at the Langwiedboden are opened as soon as the first snow falls. A unique training ground for all endurance athletes who want to accomplish their altitude metres on secured pistes from autumn until late in spring.
- 2 routes with 474 and 899 altitude metres
- Snow-reliability from autumn to spring
- Signposted ascent along the edge of the piste
- Ideal altitude training between 2.000 and 3.000 metres
- Secured downhill run across the pistes of the Kitzsteinhorn
- Special culinary programme for ski tourers
Two secured ski touring routes for perfect altitude training
The skins are put on after a comfortable cable car ride uphill to 1.976 m above sea level. The Info Point provides important details about the routes and informs about dangers in alpine terrain.
Step by step, you climb on touring skis along the edge of the piste up to 899 altitude metres uphill. The two routes "Schneekönigin“ and "Eisbrecher“ are ideal training tours for beginners and the advanced. The downhill run is on a secured piste.
For building up your fitness level at the start of the season or for leisure sportsmen and women is the shorter of the two routes the perfect choice.
474 altitude metres must be conquered on the "Schneekönigin“. The training is intensified due to the altitude. Starting point is Langwied in 1.976 metres above sea level. The secured route then leads along the edge of the piste uphill to the Alpincenter in 2.450 metres above sea level – every step is accompanied by an amazing view to the Zell Basin.
The "Eisbrecher“ route, with 899 altitude metres, is a bit more challenging. This route is the perfect training route for sporty ski tourers.
The route runs parallel to the "Schneekönigin" route up to the Alpincenter. Once arrived at the Alpincenter, the endurance athletes climb along the signposted route uphill to the mountain station of the Maurer lift in 2.875 metres above sea level.
Ski tourer meeting point: Skyline Bar
Rules for ski touring at the Kitzsteinhorn
- Warnings, closures and local regulations must be observed
- Pursuant to municipality rules, it is prohibited to ski on and to access ski routes between 5:00 pm and 8:00 am
- Closures due to risk of avalanches and avalanche dispersion must be observed
- Safety equipment: avalanche transceiver, shovel, probe
- Wearing a helmet is recommended
- Only climb along the edge of the piste
- Pay special attention before hilltops, in narrow passages, on steep slopes, glaciations and when crossing the piste
- Only cross the piste at clear points and keep sufficient space between each other
- Dogs are not permitted on the ski piste
- The 10 FIS Rules also apply to ski tourers
- Use of uphill climbs and downhill runs at your own risk and at your own responsibility
- ATTENTION: The uphill ski touring routes run along the marked edge of the piste. Away from the edge of the piste you are in an open skiing area and outside the sphere of influence of the cable car company.